POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Darren New
Date: 18 May 2010 12:09:08
Message: <4bf2bba4$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2010 09:19:54 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>
>> And, for the 17th time, you *are* aware that I'm talking about earlier
>> _computer_ network technologies, right?
>
> It's all telecommunications, which is what I think Darren is saying.

No. ISDN is a computer networking technology. It really is. When you swipe
your credit card, it uses the D channel of ISDN to deliver the numbers to
your bank and get the auth back. It's digital. It's computer. It happens to
be common that you take those bytes and run them thru a DAC to a speaker.
That doesn't mean your phone isn't a computer.

> IP address blocks are managed by IANA - a single organisation.  IANA does
> delegate some administrative tasks, but overall they handle the larger
> picture.

And telco numbers are managed by ISO, and then each country, then each
company, then each local office, because the telco has *way* too many phone
numbers and crosses *way* too many administrative domains to make it
reasonable to only have two levels of network allocation.

IANA allocates blocks to Tier 1 providers. Then *they* split up the blocks
smaller and smaller. IANA has no say in what /24 you wind up getting on your
individual cable modem.

> Some people do use it.  IPv6 runs at the same OSI level as IPv4, so yes,
> it's a direct replacement.

And that's the problem. It's a replacement, not an upgrade.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid