POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Invisible
Date: 18 May 2010 11:46:35
Message: <4bf2b65b$1@news.povray.org>
>> And, for the 17th time, you *are* aware that I'm talking about earlier
>> _computer_ network technologies, right?
>
> It's all telecommunications, which is what I think Darren is saying.

And what I'm saying is that it just seems that whenever somebody sat
down and designed a system for making computers talk to each other, they
invisiged a LAN with a quite limited number of nodes.

> IP address blocks are managed by IANA - a single organisation.  IANA does
> delegate some administrative tasks, but overall they handle the larger
> picture.

That's roughly what I figured.

>> BTW, how come nobody uses that yet? And does it replace just the IP
>> layer, or the entire protocol stack?
>
> Some people do use it.  IPv6 runs at the same OSI level as IPv4, so yes,
> it's a direct replacement.

I mean, for example, does TCP work differently with IPv6, or is it the
exact same protocol just running over a different carrier?