POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 May 2010 11:43:26
Message: <4bf2b59e$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 18 May 2010 09:19:54 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> And, for the 17th time, you *are* aware that I'm talking about earlier
> _computer_ network technologies, right?

It's all telecommunications, which is what I think Darren is saying.

> I'm fairly sure the telephone network connects vastly fewer nodes. It
> was also originally analogue, not digital. Not to mention being managed
> by a very small number of companies. But anyway...

IP address blocks are managed by IANA - a single organisation.  IANA does
delegate some administrative tasks, but overall they handle the larger
picture.

>> And they're running out of addresses
>> (actually, probably already ran out of addresses) long before every
>> person has an address, let alone every piece of communications
>> equipment.
>
> Isn't that why IPv6 was invented?

Yes.

> BTW, how come nobody uses that yet? And does it replace just the IP
> layer, or the entire protocol stack?

Some people do use it.  IPv6 runs at the same OSI level as IPv4, so yes,
it's a direct replacement.

Jim