POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPad : Re: iPad Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPad
From: Warp
Date: 18 May 2010 08:18:03
Message: <4bf2857b@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> the Xbox360 lets you write programs for it using C# and XNA

  You make it sound like you cannot write your own programs for the iPhone
or iPad. You can (although in this case it has to be with Objective-C++).

> Anyway, if I did buy an XBox360 I would expect it to do certain things as
> standard, like let me connect a memory stick and listen to the music on it
> or look at the photos and videos on it.

  Well, the iPhone is more like an iPod with respect to music (it was even
initially marketed as such, iow. smartphone+iPod) rather than a general-use
portable computer. At first you couldn't even write software for it (but
that changed later).

  I suppose the iPad continues the same ideology of being a tight sandbox
which is safe to use and hard to mess up (unlike a laptop, which is simply
a PC/Mac, and which is very easy to mess up).

  An iPhone/iPad is not much different from buying a PSP or Nintendo DS.
Those are not even intended to be laptops either.

--
                                                          - Warp