POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust : Re: Dusty Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dusty
From: scott
Date: 18 May 2010 07:54:18
Message: <4bf27fea$1@news.povray.org>
>> I did that at university.  We had a hex keypad to write machine code
>> instructions to RAM.  IIRC we had to write a program to do some
>> thermostat control of a heater or something - extra marks for
>> proportional control. But then this was just part of the CPU course to
>> get us familiar with instructions and stuff.
>
> Right. So you type stuff in hex rather than raw binary, and it
> automatically advances to the next address?

Yeh something like that, I don't remember the exact details.  I think you
could enter a memory address and hit the "address" button or something and
it would then accept instructions from that point, and then there was a
"run" button.  Pretty basic, but armed with the instruction set datasheet
you could actually write stuff that worked.  IIRC they had a few channels of
analogue and digital IO mapped to certain addresses that were connected to
useful stuff like LEDs, temperature sensors and heaters.