POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust : Re: Dusty Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dusty
From: Stephen
Date: 18 May 2010 07:25:45
Message: <4bf27939$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/05/2010 11:56 AM, Invisible wrote:
> Was there ever a time when programs were entered into memory via
> switches rather than some other medium?
>
> Was there ever a "punched tape" medium similar to punch cards?

When I started working in computing in 1969, the Honeywell H416 then
later H316 was booted by entering about a dozen binary codes into the
switch register. This told the CPU which peripheral to read and where in
memory to but the loader program, which was read using a paper tape
reader. After the loader tape was read you then read the program using
the paper tape reader. Only then could you enter any data. In 1976
Burroughs Machines were manufacturing 96 column card readers.

The first computer I ever saw was in 1997 at Glasgow University. It was
an analogue machine that used valves.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen