POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So, here are my blog postings on building a CPU : Re: So, here are my blog postings on building a CPU Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So, here are my blog postings on building a CPU
From: Invisible
Date: 18 May 2010 04:27:28
Message: <4bf24f70$1@news.povray.org>
>> I must say, this is like the coolest thing *ever*! :-D Almost makes me
>> want to try again. But I don't have any decent diagramming or simulation
>> tools, and I don't think my GUI skills are up to the task of creating
>> some.
>>

> Here's the sim I'm using:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/circuit/
>
> It's actually a pretty decent app. written in Java, seems up to handling
> some pretty complex things. It has a few UI quirks, and has a major
> drawback in that you cannot add bi-directional pins to the circuits,
> which is a bit annoying when you're designing something that has a data
> bus that is mean to be read from and written to.

Well, so far I've tried two systems:

1. KLogic. Unfortunately, this crashes constantly, and sometimes gives
you THE WRONG ANSWER. As in, I've drawn circuits which are simple enough
that I damned-well *know* the answer being displayed is incorrect.

2. The freebie version of the Xilinx simulation/synthesis tool. Here you
have to type in VHDL as input, and (IIRC), you don't get any kind of
visual representation of the circuit. And once you've designed the
circuit, you have to type in more VHDL to create a test harness. You
can't just click a button that says "please attach a logic probe here",
you have to actually code it all by hand.

I'll have a look at this and see if it works any better...