POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Darren New
Date: 17 May 2010 17:55:38
Message: <4bf1bb5a$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:36:09 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Depends on how the router implements forwarding for multicast
>> Or, to phrase it differently, multicast is somewhat more point-to-point
>> than a telephone party line is.
>
> Not really, a party line is many-to-many, but multicast is one-to-many.

Nope. If you're on a party line and I'm not, and I call you, I have one
person on my end and you have every party on your end. Exactly like going
thru a router with one connection that's CAT5 and the other connection
that's coax ethernet. If you connect two party lines thru the switch, then
anyone on either side can hear everyone, just like having a switch with two
ports and a broadcast network on each side.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid