POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust : Re: Prehistoric dust Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prehistoric dust
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 17 May 2010 17:09:33
Message: <4bf1b08d$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/17/2010 2:54 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Was anybody actually there? Did any of you guys see this happen? What
> was it like? And did mainframes really come in bright orange cases with
> inch-square glowy buttons on the front that randomly twinkle?

;) I remember as a kid in the 80's walking into an office that had a
computer room. A real-life room-sized mainframe. One wall had a bank of
tape machines, the CPU was a box the size of a Smart car sort of in the
middle of the room, and there was a huge array of disks that took up the
rest of the room.

All controlled by a tiny terminal in the corner flanked by an 8" floppy
drive, and a few other binders and such.

It was quite neat to see!

--
~Mike