POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So, here are my blog postings on building a CPU : Re: So, here are my blog postings on building a CPU Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So, here are my blog postings on building a CPU
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 17 May 2010 17:05:53
Message: <4bf1afb1@news.povray.org>
On 5/17/2010 1:18 PM, Kyle wrote:

> Looks like fun. I've been playing around with Verilog code lately, and
> am going to be purchasing an FPGA starter kit soon. A basic CPU is one
> of the things that I thought would be fun to do in the FPGA, although, I
> imagine it's been done to death.

Yup. but isn't that the point of an FPGA? ;)

I mean... basically to build a custom, application specific, chunk of
logic. If it's a customized CPU (er, say a DSP...), then all the more fun.

It's tempting to get something like an FPGA test board and poke
something into it, though.... but I feel this will take some of the "I
built it myself" satisfaction from the project.

.... I still have to figure out how to pare this sucker down so I can do
the big clacking pile of relays version of it ;)

--
~Mike