POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 May 2010 15:37:21
Message: <4bf19af1$1@news.povray.org>
>> All of the other *computer* network systems were designed for small
>> networks. Sheesh...
>
> Uh, no. Really, not.  X.25.  ATM.  ISDN.  SONET.  They're all world-wide
> networks-of-networks, just like IP. Indeed, IP runs over top of all
> these networks once you get outside your own building. (Granted, X.25 is
> probably not much used any more, but it was basically what IP wound up
> replacing, and again was the substrate carrier for a lot of IP data
> before SONET got cheap enough to dedicate a fiber to something as
> trickling slow as IP traffic.)

Interesting. Because from what I've seen, all the earlier technologies
allow you to connect together maybe a few dozen nodes, and then stop
working after you try to scale much beyond that. They all use their own
perculiar addressing scheme, and there's no way of referring to a node
that isn't on the local network.

To me, it seems that the major contribution of IP is that it gives you
an addressing system which is independent of the underlying transport
technology, and has routable addresses (and definite rules for how to
use them). I haven't seen anything else that does that.

Oh, and then people whine that it doesn't map cleanly to the ISO/OSI
7-layer model. Oh well...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/