POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Solar cooling? : Re: Solar cooling? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar cooling?
From: clipka
Date: 17 May 2010 10:48:21
Message: <4bf15735@news.povray.org>
Am 17.05.2010 14:36, schrieb Warp:
>    Well, that's precisely what I'm talking about. You are somehow assigning
> some magical properties to the basic "U=RI" formula by making odd statements
> like "cattle fences have a limited amount of current".
>
>    If we solve how much current a certain voltage difference produces, it's
> I = U/R. Here the resistance 'R' is the resistance of the human body. If we
> assume that this resistance is the same in both situations, then the *only*

That's a wrong assumption already: Cattle fence "generators" and the
mains have much different internal resistance; in the case of mains, the
human body resistance is probably dominating, but with a cattle fence,
the internal resistance is.

Also note that the cattle fence does /not/ actually produce DC, but
rather a pulsed AC; with the pulses being very short and sharp spikes,
each pulse is dominated by very high frequencies, at which currents tend
to travel close to the surface of a conductor. If that conductor happens
to be a human, this means that the pulse will travel close to the skin,
staying clear of vital organs. (Unless one of these organs happens to be
an artificial pacemaker or the like, which are usually implanted close
to the skin.)

All in all, I'm pretty sure it's a combination of various effects that
makes cattle fences much safer than mains current, so /any/ answer
mentioning only a subset of these can be considered wrong when running
in nitpicking mode.