POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Solar cooling? : Re: Solar cooling? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:14:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar cooling?
From: Invisible
Date: 17 May 2010 09:01:13
Message: <4bf13e19$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   There's no "limited current". If the voltage difference is 40 kilovolts,
> the current will be almost 200 times larger than of the voltage difference
> is 230 volts.

Static electric shocks regularly run into the kilovolt range. So why
don't they kill people? I assure you, if you hang somebody between a
pair of 40 kilovolt overhead power lines, their body will be reduced to
ash - possibly explosively.

The difference is that a static shock lasts for an infintesimal fraction
of a second. That's how long it takes the two charges to neutralise each
other. If you touch a power line, however, there's a giant generator
replacing the charge as fast as you can neutralise it, causing a
_continuous_ current flow.

It's current that kills you, not potential difference or anything else.