POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Solar cooling? : Re: Solar cooling? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar cooling?
From: scott
Date: 17 May 2010 08:14:12
Message: <4bf13314$1@news.povray.org>
>  For example, ask anybody, an expert or layman, why you can die from
> touching an electrical wall socket (which has at most 230 volts), but
> usually not from an electric cattle fence (which has tens of kilovolts)
> and you won't get a straight, rational answer. I have yet to get a
> proper answer from anybody (which wouldn't seem to violate the basic
> "U=RI" formula).

An electric fence has a very low value current limiter (of the order of a
few milliamps), whereas you can get 10's of amps from wall sockets.

U=RI is never violated, because a current limiting circuit will control the
voltage to ensure the current limit is not exceeded.  If you connected a
voltmeter to the electric fence you would see the voltage drop significantly
when you touched it.  BTW this is exactly how an LED driver circuit works,
because they need a constant current supply, rather than voltage.