POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Laid Off After 21 Years! : Re: Laid Off After 21 Years! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laid Off After 21 Years!
From: Jim Charter
Date: 16 May 2010 02:30:01
Message: <4bef90e9$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

>> Agreed, out of habit, as you say, or out of a need to contribute in some
>> meaningful way, yet, also as you say, it will be tempered in some manner.
>

> My present contract keeps getting extended month on month. I could
> really do with giving it up and taking a break but as the money is OK

> next year.

As it happens, here I am at 2am Sunday morning working on PowerPoint
presentations for the class I teach on Monday.  I get paid by the hour
for time in the classroom.  This time I spend now would be tolerably
classified as 'time given' to the job. A job that has zero security.
But...this time spent: makes the job in the classroom easier, elevates
the quality of my teaching, and elevates the reputation of the program.
  Or so I hope.  Have I forgotten the bitter lesson learned when the
corporate world gave me the boot?  Not sure.  I believe I do this more
for myself now, not so to please others.  But it is difficult to be
sure.  As far as just taking the money?  Yes, but the real value of this
gig is the health care benefits.  And for that I need to stay around.

The new head of the Taxi & Limousine Commission comes to the school on
Monday presumably to inform himself on the current state of taxi
training.  I am being scheduled to teach, rather than other instructors
  I am guessing, because of my 'smart room' innovations.  The more I
talk about it, the more I am thinking I've been sucked back in :O