POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: somebody
Date: 15 May 2010 16:30:55
Message: <4bef047f$1@news.povray.org>
news:4bec4c2d$1@news.povray.org...

I don't understand you. First you say

<q>
There's no *technical* reason, however, why somebody can't go out and
implement an alternative office suite. (Apart perhaps from file
compatibilty.) Yet nobody has done this. So everybody has to buy MS
Office, because no alternative exists.
</q>

and then:

> I tried KOffice. It works, but it doesn't seem to *do* very much, and
> it's infuriatingly fiddly to operate. (Especially the spreadsheet. In
> fact, I've yet to find any spreadsheet that works as well as Excel -
> which is worrying, considering that Excel wasn't work fantastically.)

So, when you say there's no alternative to MSOffice, do you mean there's no
alternative to MSOffice that is *as good or better than* MSOffice? Well,
someone has to be the best (at least from individual's POV). MSOffice
doesn't need to be perfect/"fantastic", but if even a career critique like
yourself admits it works the best, then case closed: MS is obviously doing
something right.