POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Darren New
Date: 14 May 2010 23:00:13
Message: <4bee0e3d$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Assuming the switch isn't multicast aware.  I wouldn't be surprised if
> some were these days (but I haven't looked at it recently).

Um, no. Even so.

If you have one cable coming into the university campus, and a network for
each building, the router is going to have to send the packets to each
building, duplicating the packets, regardless of how "aware" anyone is.

> It's more like multiple people listening to a radio station - the data is
> only transmitted once per subnet.

Right. But you have to duplicate it for each subnet, which is the "party
line" equivalent.

> The difference between, for example,
> using unicast to push an image down to 15 workstations on a subnet and
> using multicast to push an image down to 15 workstations on a subnet is a
> significant reduction in overall network traffic.

Only for that one subnet.

It's better than a unicast stream to each destination, yes. That doesn't
mean IP isn't point-to-point, if you factor in the broadcast address as
meaning "one subnet is the point."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid