POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 May 2010 19:08:24
Message: <4bedd7e8$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:30:22 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Depends on how the router implements forwarding for multicast - ISTR
>> that some routers can be configured to forward multicast traffic up to
>> a specified TTL, but what's forwarded is still multicast traffic.
>
> Yes. And if you have a router with three ethernet connections plugged
> into it, it's going to duplicate each multicast packet onto each
> ethernet connection. Otherwise it isn't multicast.

Assuming the switch isn't multicast aware.  I wouldn't be surprised if
some were these days (but I haven't looked at it recently).

> The whole multicast protocol is nothing more than telling each router on
> the path which outputs it needs to duplicate packets on to, so you
> *don't* get multicast going onto network segments where nobody is
> listening for them.

Right.

> Of course when it's duplicated it's still a multicast packet. That's
> defined by the source address, and on any given segment that supports
> broadcast it is treated as a broadcast packet. It's still point-to-point
> between routers. I.e., it's still point to point if you treat "all the
> people listening to the same broadcast address on the same network
> segment" as one point of the multicast transmission.

It's more like multiple people listening to a radio station - the data is
only transmitted once per subnet.  The difference between, for example,
using unicast to push an image down to 15 workstations on a subnet and
using multicast to push an image down to 15 workstations on a subnet is a
significant reduction in overall network traffic.

Jim