POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google search : Re: Wikipedia search Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wikipedia search
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 May 2010 19:04:17
Message: <4bedd6f1$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:33:16 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> The EU is having a bit of a field day with it, it looks like, so
>> hopefully some good will come from that.
>
> The fundamental problem is that legal systems are pretty much
> universally based on geography while IP is specifically designed to put
> every address equidistant from every other address.
>
> If Facebook's entire operation was in the USA, what could the EU do?

That's a valid point, but at the same time, there are successful
enforcements of privacy laws in different venues regardless of where
services are hosted.

But I think with Facebook, they operate (as in "have servers located in")
the EU, so the debate is something of a nonstarter as a practical
exercise, but interesting as a theoretical exercise.

Jim