POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google search : Re: Wikipedia search Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wikipedia search
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 May 2010 17:45:59
Message: <4bedc497$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 May 2010 17:31:55 -0300, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Facebook likes to change it upside down every three months. I hate
>>> that.
>>
>> Actually, with FB it's more like they change the default privacy
>> options for all users to expose more data every three months.  It's not
>> rocket science to set things up so when they change things, the default
>> is "secure" rather than "open", would be nice if they actually learned
>> that lesson.
>
> It's not like they don't know how to make it secure; probably they are
> *intentionally* opening those privacy holes.

The EU is having a bit of a field day with it, it looks like, so
hopefully some good will come from that.

> The recent addition of community pages and making public what pages you
> have "liked" is to let advertisers know what you like.

Yeah, that whole page thing is driving me a little nuts right now - every
time I login it asks me if I want to become a "fan" of pages related to
movies, books, etc that I've said I like in my profile.

What's more, everything is selected by default, and there's no "deselect
all" option.

So if I want to continue to maintain my privacy on that stuff, I have to
manually deselect each one of what looks to be about a hundred "we think
you'll be interested in this" options.

Quite annoying.  Still, if I hadn't wanted to share that information, I
could've not included it.

Jim