POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Darren New
Date: 14 May 2010 15:38:53
Message: <4beda6cd$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Last time I checked, ISDN is point-to-point only

So is TCP.  It's connection-oriented, except for the D-channel, which is
datagram oriented.

> (i.e., the smallest possible kind of network).

Yet, oddly enough, orders of magnitude bigger than IP.

> I was under the impression that ATM is as
> well, but I haven't actually used ATM.

Tell me what you mean by "point to point" if you think IP isn't.

>>> Sure, you don't usually talk to them directly; usually you use one of
>>> the IP addresses from the block assigned to your ISP.
>>
>> Ding ding! Guess what? They aren't assigned centrally. Your ISP
>> assined you yours, mine assigned me mine.
>
> And where does the ISP get their IP block from?
>
> Yeah, exactly: They're assigned centrally.

Nope. They're assigned heirarchically. That's completely different.

> If I just pick an IP address at random, it won't even route correctly.

Of course you have to adjust the routing.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid