POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nasty ... : Re: Nasty ... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nasty ...
From: Invisible
Date: 14 May 2010 08:49:00
Message: <4bed46bc$1@news.povray.org>
>> So is the Comodo Dragon, apparently. One of the only venemous reptiles
>> in the world...
>
> Interesting ... I always thought it was because their mouth was so full
> of nasty bacteria.

So did everybody else, apparently. It has only recently become known
that they have actual venom.

> Also didn't know there was another set of chromosomes for determining
> sex. I always thought it was XY, in the dragon's case, it's ZW, which
> apparently allows for parthenogenesis, producing male offspring without
> the need for the female laying the eggs to mate.

Sure, by no means all animals use chromosomal sex determination.

Crocodiles use the temperature of the eggs during their development, for
example. I'm told there's a species of Gobi (that's a fish) that are all
born male, and all grow up to be female. And let's not even get into the
number of animals which are simultaneously male *and* female... It's a
weird, weird world out there!

> Amazing what you can learn by hanging out on the POV newsgroups :)

Uh, affirm that! ;-)