POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: somebody
Date: 14 May 2010 00:38:15
Message: <4becd3b7$1@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>
> > OK, so how many of you are thinking "hmm, that sounds like me" right
> > now? ;-)
>
> **me too**
>
> It's unfortunate, though, that large corporations in the modern world
don't have
> MORE Babbage types working for them (with the freedom to keep pushing for
> changes and improvements); it sure would eliminate lots of bad products

as well as good products

> from
> entering the marketplace--cars, software, etc.  Taking the time to
actually get
> it 'right' in the first place seems to be a lost philosophy, among many
> companies...whether due to economic constraints or whatever. Something
Babbage
> apparently didn't have to worry about.

Big part of "right" is "time" and "compromise". Any half assed product today
is worth infinitely more to me than a perfect product in 50 years, when I'll
most likely be worm fodder. Like it or not, we owe our current way of life
to quick development and turnaround times due to tight competition to
marketplace. Imagine if drugs were not made available until they were
improved to the point of having no side effects at all.