POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The last line totally sells this : Re: The last line totally sells this Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The last line totally sells this
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 13 May 2010 23:37:22
Message: <4becc572$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Its been called treason, or close to that, by a few people here too.
> And, hell yes its going on. Its one idiot running the entire network,
> and hand picking right wingers, loud mouths, and clueless, but good
> looking, rubes, who will either lie, distort, or just repeat, out of
> shear ignorance, everything the people lying and distorting are saying.
> The key here is, "Its not run by the government", so technically, since
> their has been no direct connection made between government officials
> and the loonies on the network, other than them siding with them, they
> can't do much.
>
> Basically though, you get similar insane bullshit in rag magazines, from
> my understanding, in some places, including Britain. What differs here
> is that its a major news network, being run by someone who should be
> publishing rag magazines.

Now, now, the news on that network may actually be news. But the news
only runs from 12 noon to 1pm, and then again at 6pm to 7pm. The rest of
the day, it is not a news network, just a network with celebrities
covering "news worthy stories". Talk shows.

What bothers me is that the 'celebrity shows' say "well, we believe that
Politician Soandso is up to something." and then the news shows can then
later run a story that "Sources say Politician Soandso is up to
something." Later, this gets run back through the celebrities who can
say "News outlets report that Politician Soandso was doing something
illegal. See, we told you about this before they did, and we were
right." It ends up being a hilarious echo chamber.

But, in the USA, it can't be treason. They are not waging war, and they
are not giving aid and comfort to the declared enemies. Unless you count
the news media (in general) as making us more afraid, while fear is the
weapon of terrorists . . . well, hard to prove legally. Sedition, maybe,
but not treason. But if you want to invoke the Smith Act, go for it. It
is still on the books, and both sides have overstepped the bounds it
laid out. But by strict definition of even seditious conspiracy (§2384
of Title 18 USC) they haven't done anything wrong yet.

Free speech still means they can make up stories just this side of
slander and libel, if they do not incite a riot.