POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: Darren New
Date: 13 May 2010 16:08:32
Message: <4bec5c40@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 12:07:50 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> I'd say that it's pretty much got feature parity (
>> Maybe for the features *you* use. I don't remember seeing how to get it
>> to talk COM to a SQL database so you can automate importing a chart from
>> Calc into Word based on a database query.
>
> True, that's not something I've ever needed to use, but then again, I
> probably wouldn't look to use a specific technology (COM) to accomplish
> the task, largely because I wouldn't know where to start with COM.

That, and other cool stuff, like the fact that you can put it on a shared
drive and have multiple people working on the same file without conflict.
All kinds of "power" stuff that people who don't use it for a living do use.

Kind of like showing the boss a unit test framework integrated into the IDE
and him going "Yeah, so? I have an editor and a compiler."  It's stuff you
might not ever use unless your job is making and sharing these complex
presentations with other people.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid