POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 May 2010 15:28:15
Message: <4bec52cf$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 May 2010 12:23:39 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> oocalc works very well, I find - I do a *lot* of data manipulation in
>> my job, and I find that oocalc works as well as MS Excel
>
> Interestingly enough, Microsoft beat 1-2-3 by noticing that *most*
> people didn't use the spreadsheet for calculations. They used it as a
> list editor. MS added a whole bunch of list-manipulation operations,
> while 1-2-3 added a whole bunch of sophisticated math stuff, and Excel
> won.

Yeah - that is interesting, but not surprising to me, either - 1-2-3 was
really geared towards usage as a number crunching tool (ala Visicalc),
but most users use it for list manipulation and other sorts of data
parsing (which is what I use it for, too).  I do occasional math-related
stuff, but on balance, I'd say most of my use case is data manipulation
rather than calculation.

Jim