POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 May 2010 15:25:59
Message: <4bec5247$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   When did that happen?

Ah... 2005? Maybe? I'm not completely sure.

> It either happened a decade ago, or the clerk was
> really incompetent.

It was definitely after 2000.

>   Most people don't see anything wrong in copying commercial software.
> Not even if their attitude is put into doubt from a moral and ethical
> point of view.
>
>   What really grinds my gears with that kind of attitude is that it's
> honest, paying customers who are paying for the software these people
> are copying for free. These people may make up excuses in their minds
> that they are just "stealing from a big rich company", when in fact what
> they are doing is taking advantage of people who actually pay for the
> software (and keep the "big rich company" alive).
>
>   I buy software (mostly games, as everything else is open source), and
> part of that money I have earned and use to buy this software goes into
> paying for the people who steal the software. They are abusing *my* hard
> earned money. And that pisses me off.

Yeah, I dislike illegally copying anything. Like, given the choice
between copying one of my dad's CDs or just buying one for myself, I'd
rather go buy myself one.

It still makes me slightly nervous that I have an illegal copy of
Borland TurboPascal 5.5 for DOS. I mean, as if Borland is going to
*care* any more...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/