POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 May 2010 15:17:15
Message: <4bec503b@news.povray.org>
>> I said (or intended to say) that 5 years ago it was awful, and today it
>> isn't. It just isn't great either.
>
> Well, I find it is actually pretty good - having used MS Office for
> several years, I'd say that it's pretty much got feature parity (given
> that it can import most MS Office documents that I've tried without any
> issues at all, I'd say that's a pretty good way to tell how useful it is).

For example, I asked Calc to draw a graph, and spent forever trying to
figure out how to add a secondary axis. As far as I can tell, they just
haven't got around to implementing that feature yet.

I will say this: The chart options layout is superior to Excel. Far more
logical grouping, options do what you'd actually expect them to do, etc.

>>> As I said, I use it *every* *single* *day* and it *isn't* awful, it's
>>> quite good, and I find it provides all the functionality that most end
>>> users need.
>> I used it to write my CV.
>>
>> All of them.
>
> And?

Writer works for simple tasks. Sometimes it's quite frustrating trying
to make it do what you want though. (I can't remember a specific example
right now.)

>> As I say, I sometimes use OO for fixing broken MSO documents. (MSO
>> itself is apparently too stupid to do this.)
>
> Indeed, I remember you mentioning that before.

Trouble is, it tended to chew up the formatting slightly. (I tried it
with files that weren't corrupted; same issue. It ate the company logo,
for example.) I imagine this is something they're probably working on
improving.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/