POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Darren New
Date: 13 May 2010 15:16:18
Message: <4bec5002$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> What IP does is provide a single language for networking.

So does every network. And the IP stack doesn't support all sorts of stuff
that other networks do.  You're just expressing a tautology.

> Any networking
> technology that has a standardised way of carrying IP can potentially be
> interconnected with any other such technology.

And any networking technology that has a standardized way of carrying SONET
can be interconnected with any other such technology. Any networking
technology that has a standardized way of carrying ISDN can be
interconnected with any other such technology. Any networking ... X.25 ...
Etc etc etc.

>  From what little I remember, before that we had IPX and SPX and
> AppleTalk and Ethernet and Token Ring and none of it worked together.

Yet, at the same time we had X.25, voice dialing over *analog connections*
using *human beings* as routers worked just fine worldwide.

Something which IP still doesn't support well. Along with roaming. And
address portability.

> And besides, why waste time and energy laying a dozen sets of cables
> when one will do?

Money. Why waste time and energy with multiple search engines?

> So if the post office hadn't been a monopoly, and there had been a dozen
> different postal companies all start at the same time, they would have
> all used the same postcodes?

No. But over a fairly short time, that would have sorted itself out.

>> Why would post codes need a monopoly if phone numbers, IP addresses,
>> and MAC addresses don't?
>
> Are you telling me that IP addresses don't involve a monopoly?

Yes.  Who served the IP address to your machine?  Time Warner San Diego? I
doubt it.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid