POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: Warp
Date: 13 May 2010 15:11:37
Message: <4bec4ee9@news.povray.org>
> Similarly, the one time I was actually in an Apple shop, they told me
> about all the Apple software they could potentially sell me, "buy Apple
> don't have an office suite. You'll have to use MS Office". And I'm like
> "OMG, WTF? Doesn't that defeat the entire point of the Mac existing??"
> And he was like "yeah, Apple haven't invested in making an office suite
> yet."

  When did that happen? It either happened a decade ago, or the clerk was
really incompetent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IWork (which, in fact, is
the successor to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleWorks which was first
developed in 1984).

> I won't argue with that. I've seen people say "hey, can I borrow the MS
> Office CD so I can put it on my home PC?" "Well, er no, that would be
> illegal copying. You'll have to *buy* a copy. Or you could use
> OpenOffice; it's completely free." "Hmm, OK. Are you _sure_ I can't just
> illegally copy MS Office? Nobody will know..."

  Most people don't see anything wrong in copying commercial software.
Not even if their attitude is put into doubt from a moral and ethical
point of view.

  What really grinds my gears with that kind of attitude is that it's
honest, paying customers who are paying for the software these people
are copying for free. These people may make up excuses in their minds
that they are just "stealing from a big rich company", when in fact what
they are doing is taking advantage of people who actually pay for the
software (and keep the "big rich company" alive).

  I buy software (mostly games, as everything else is open source), and
part of that money I have earned and use to buy this software goes into
paying for the people who steal the software. They are abusing *my* hard
earned money. And that pisses me off.

--
                                                          - Warp