POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 May 2010 15:08:53
Message: <4bec4e45$1@news.povray.org>
>> Or you have the network equivilent of "format wars" while the few
>> biggest networks try to out-grow each other and win the game...
>
> Yep. But again that's going to win/lose on lots of features, one of
> which is how well the formats match what people want at the time.
>
> The sad part is when a format gets entrenched and then people change how
> the work to a way that the entrenched mechanisms don't support well.

The sad part is that the format that wins is usually the least
technically sophisticated.

>> Fortunately, somebody invented IP. Before that happened, it was crazy
>> out there...
>
> Not especially. And IP didn't win. IP addresses a very small part of the
> networking stack.

What IP does is provide a single language for networking. Any networking
technology that has a standardised way of carrying IP can potentially be
interconnected with any other such technology.

IP over Avian Carrier, anyone?

 From what little I remember, before that we had IPX and SPX and
AppleTalk and Ethernet and Token Ring and none of it worked together.

>> Really? How would company X know that company Y is using a given
>> technology?
>
> I'm pretty sure it's not hard to figure out what technology  your
> competition in network services is using. You think it's difficult to
> figure out what coding an iPhone uses over the air, for example?

Er, YES. (?!)

>> Similar constraints probably apply to things like water or electricity
>> distribution.
>
> Yes. Around here at least, it's space underneath the roads to actually
> run the pipes.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me...

And besides, why waste time and energy laying a dozen sets of cables
when one will do?

>> Yeah, because the postal address already existed in the first place.
>> If the post office hadn't existed first...
>
> Exactly, yes.  But not because the post office was a monopoly.

So if the post office hadn't been a monopoly, and there had been a dozen
different postal companies all start at the same time, they would have
all used the same postcodes?

> Why would post codes need a monopoly if phone numbers, IP addresses, and
> MAC addresses don't?

Are you telling me that IP addresses don't involve a monopoly?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/