POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: Darren New
Date: 13 May 2010 15:00:13
Message: <4bec4c3d$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Last time I checked, if you want an office suite, you can buy MS Office
> or...

Open Office, Corel, Quark, LaTeX et al, Google Docs, whatever Apple sells,
WordPerfect, etc etc etc....  Now, some of these may be out of business, but
that's not really to the point, because they *were* competition when they
were around, and they couldn't compete.

> MS carefully arranges it so that users have no alternatives.

No, it's because makign a full-featured office suite that people will want
to use is *hard* and *expensive*. Nobody *wants* to compete, because
Microsoft already has a product. Big consumer-grade software is a natural
monopoly.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid