POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 May 2010 14:52:03
Message: <4bec4a53$1@news.povray.org>
>> Don't forget StarOffice (or whatever the hell the minutely-altered
>> edition of OpenOffice is called).
>
> StarOffice predated OpenOffice; the two were co-developed for some time,
> but are essentially different products now.

Interesting. So does StarOffice do something that OpenOffice doesn't now?

>>> I use OpenOffice every day.  It's good.
>> It's OK, and it *is* useful for fixing documents that MS Word is too
>> stupid to open. But it's not nearly as effective is MS Office yet.
>> Still, 5 years ago it was awful. Maybe it just needs time...
>
> If the last time you used it was 5 years ago, then you haven't looked at
> the current versions.

I said (or intended to say) that 5 years ago it was awful, and today it
isn't. It just isn't great either.

> As I said, I use it *every* *single* *day* and it
> *isn't* awful, it's quite good, and I find it provides all the
> functionality that most end users need.

I used it to write my CV.

All of them.

> Oh, and I use it regularly to open MS Office docs (which I am often sent
> by third parties) - both "traditional" files and OOXML files.  No
> compatibility problems that I've encountered.

As I say, I sometimes use OO for fixing broken MSO documents. (MSO
itself is apparently too stupid to do this.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/