POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 May 2010 14:48:33
Message: <4bec4981@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 May 2010 19:45:29 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Last time I checked, if you want an office suite, you can buy MS
>>> Office or...
>>>
>>> ...uh, yeah, exactly. It's not that MS Office is good enough that
>>> nobody will pay to switch. It's that there's nothing to switch *to*.
>>
>> Corel.  OpenOffice.  There are options for many people.
>
> Corel?

WordPerfect Office, from Corel.

> Don't forget StarOffice (or whatever the hell the minutely-altered
> edition of OpenOffice is called).

StarOffice predated OpenOffice; the two were co-developed for some time,
but are essentially different products now.

>>> (Although there is hope. Give it another 5 years or so, maybe
>>> OpenOffice will become good...)
>>
>> I use OpenOffice every day.  It's good.
>
> It's OK, and it *is* useful for fixing documents that MS Word is too
> stupid to open. But it's not nearly as effective is MS Office yet.
> Still, 5 years ago it was awful. Maybe it just needs time...

If the last time you used it was 5 years ago, then you haven't looked at
the current versions.  As I said, I use it *every* *single* *day* and it
*isn't* awful, it's quite good, and I find it provides all the
functionality that most end users need.

I wouldn't waste my time using *awful* software.

Oh, and I use it regularly to open MS Office docs (which I am often sent
by third parties) - both "traditional" files and OOXML files.  No
compatibility problems that I've encountered.

Jim