POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 May 2010 14:39:33
Message: <4bec4765$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> Right. My point was that if companies are just left to their own
>> devices, they will all invent and deploy incompatible technologies.
>
> Not really. One network will be bigger, and others will make their stuff
> compatible so they can connect to the network. Or you build interface
> converters.

Or you have the network equivilent of "format wars" while the few
biggest networks try to out-grow each other and win the game...

> Wow, good thing the internet uses ethernet everywhere, and we never had
> these dial-up modems, ADSL, or cable modems to deal with.

Fortunately, somebody invented IP. Before that happened, it was crazy
out there...

>> For something like washing machines, the fact that one machine is
>> "incompatible" with another is largely irrelevant. For anything which
>> could be described as a "network", compatibility is usually a Big Deal.
>
> Which is exactly why the companies tend not to deploy incompatible
> technologies, once a sufficiently good technology has proven itself.

Really? How would company X know that company Y is using a given technology?

> The main reason the telephone networks in the USA were monopolies is
> they were analog, and you had to carefully design the routing so that
> long distance calls didn't go thru so many switches that you lost all
> quality.

Similar constraints probably apply to things like water or electricity
distribution.

>> The other problem is assigned numbers. Can you imagine if there were
>> three different postal services, each of which assigns completely
>> different postcodes to the same addresses?
>
> FedEx and UPS and GPS driving directions and such all use the postal
> address. Why wouldn't they? Why would UPS go to the trouble of making up
> their own sets of addresses?

Yeah, because the postal address already existed in the first place. If
the post office hadn't existed first...

?

>> (Still, I guess it's plausible that you could have a single entity in
>> charge of *planning* a service, and have the service actually
>> *performed* by several independant companies...)
>
> Hey, welcome to Bellcore. Have a nice visit.

Um... OK?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/