POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Invisible
Date: 13 May 2010 07:24:32
Message: <4bebe170@news.povray.org>

>>> Only if your philosophy includes the concept of state monopolies.
>>
>> I don't know what a state monopoly is.
> Possibly not the right term. A monopoly that is granted by the state to
> itself or to a fully state owned company.

I would have thought that for something like communications, or indeed
any type of network, a monopoly is almost a design requirement.

If you had three different telephone companies, they'd invent three
types of telephone, with three incompatible numbering plans, and three
incompatible sorts of cabling with incompatible signalling protocols.
They'd then go out and lay three sets of cabling, build three sets of
telephone exchanges, and when everything was finished you'd *still* only
be able to call people who are with the same provider as you.

Similar arguments go for things like power distribution, or rail
networks. Anything that needs to work properly over a large area with
multiple users. Otherwise you just end up with duplication and
incompatibility.

Now, wether a monopoly needs to be "state owned" is another matter.
Since I don't comprehend what this means, I can't comment.