POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: A geek Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A geek
From: scott
Date: 12 May 2010 05:55:27
Message: <4bea7b0f$1@news.povray.org>
> Well yes, this is the other possibility: Instead of flowing liquid (or
> gas), use rotating beams. If the beam is being driven to rotate, that's 1.
> If it's being held still, that's 0.
>
> Only problem is... what sort of clutch do you use to enguage a gear if a
> beam is rotating above a certain speed? ._.

There are several options to choose from.  First one that comes into my mind
is to have some weights (small ball bearings) that move outwards from the
rotation axis as speed increases due to the centripetal force.  This linear
motion outwards can be used to engage a clutch between two other shafts.
Similar concept is used to govern the speed on some engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_governor

Another option (simpler but not as long lasting) could be to have a simple
frictional contact with another shaft that is constrained to rotate by a
torsional spring.  As the input shaft speeds up the 2nd shaft will reach
some static equilibrium position, again this could be used to move another
clutch that connects two different shafts.