POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 11 May 2010 18:40:18
Message: <4be9dcd2@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : 4be9b5aa$1@news.povray.org...
> http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2009/10/
> the_top_five_most_famous_living_scientists.html

Reading this list I realise that "famous living scientists" are probably
more "locally" famous than world-famous. Of the 5 scientists cited in the
blog, only Hawking is something of a star in France. The others are just
unknown outside scientific circles. The French never hear about Dawkins
because evolution and atheism are non-issues here. Climate change was not
controversial until last year so we didn't hear about Hansen (and the
controversy is mostly reduced to a couple of loudmouths). Watson & Crick
were always overshadowed by Monod. Goodall got a couple of medals here but
she isn't well known here either. On the other hand, local scientists or
French-speaking ones like Trinh Xuan Thuan (US) or Hubert Reeves (Canadian)
are popular figures, mostly due to media exposure.

G.