POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: A geek Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A geek
From: Darren New
Date: 11 May 2010 17:49:01
Message: <4be9d0cd@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Some time ago I was reading a Wikipedia entry about some of the relays
> in a central office. Someone described the sound as deafening back when
> everything was electromechanical. Especially on heavy phone traffic days.

I remember talking to someone who worked in a CO when Kennedy was shot. He
said they thought something was wrong because everything went really quiet
for about 20 minutes, and then it went completely nuts, beyond the capacity
of the system to switch.

Altho this might have been with a #5 crossbar. I'm not sure the relays were
around at the time.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid