POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Round One : Re: Round One Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round One
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 11 May 2010 13:39:49
Message: <4be99665$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/05/2010 19:24, Darren New wrote:
> Zeger Knaepen wrote:
>> two reasons:
>> 1. that wasn't my birth
>
> But you're not the same person who was born.

both physically and mentally, indeed, I'm not.  But that has nothing to
do with the fact that I wasn't born in this seat.  I was partly 'formed'
in this seat, but there was no birth-process involved :)

>> 2. explaining to people that I'm not the same person as I was when I
>> was born, or even a second ago, is not really what they want to know
>> when they ask that question :)
>
> Exactly. Because nobody thinks of themselves that way. It's still "you"
> that ate breakfast this morning.

Linquistically speaking, yes, that was me.  Scientifically speaking:
that was most of me (some new cells in my body might have been created,
and some old cells probably have been shed since).  Philosophically
speaking: it's not even sure reality existed this morning :)