POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Retro AI : Re: Retro AI Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Retro AI
From: Darren New
Date: 11 May 2010 13:17:25
Message: <4be99125$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Paul Fuller wrote:
>
>> So it *is* the matchboxes that learn.
>
> More exactly, it's the algorithm for changing the contents of the
> matchboxes that learns. Not the matchboxes themselves.

No, because the algorithm is the same at the start of each game. The
algorithm *teaches*.  The matchboxes *learn."

On a side note, I saw a fun idea for an AI game a long time ago. In a
similar vein, the program knew the legal moves and what constituted a win or
loss, and would enforce that. The program would play based on this idea of
wins add probability and loses subtract probability. But the human player
wasn't told the rules. The game was whether you could figure out the rules
and strategies before the game learned well enough to be unbeatable.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid