POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It caught my eye : Re: It caught my eye Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It caught my eye
From: clipka
Date: 10 May 2010 13:44:11
Message: <4be845eb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.05.2010 18:25, schrieb Darren New:
> Invisible wrote:
>> The guy sitting there is called Léon Boëllmann.
>
> é in french is pronounced like the A in Hate.

Um... well... actually, no, it isn't. There is no such phoneme as the
french é in the English language.

There is a /sound/ in the English language that comes close, but it only
seems to appear alongside other sounds - for instance as the /first
part/ of the a in Hate; I guess a French person trying to explain how
"Hate" is pronounced might actually render it as "héite".

So to pronounce "Léon" properly, you'll need to get rid of that "i"-ish
ending of the "Hate-a".