POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Priority : Re: Render Priority Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Priority
From: Darren New
Date: 10 May 2010 12:46:02
Message: <4be8384a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Yep. Except it's inconvenient in Windows because (a) it has a UI that runs
>> in the same process as the render and (b) one doesn't normally launch it
>> from the command line where setting the priority is trivial.
>
>   Why should it be inconvenient?

Because it's roughly six to eight mouse clicks, if you know what you're
doing, to do it with the GUI. I find that inconvenient when it's something
that's likely to be a persistent setting.  Especially since it's already
implemented in 3.6 and probably less than a dozen lines of code to carry
over. I honestly can't imagine why one would drop such a feature. (Which may
entirely be simply my lack of imagination.)

>   I don't know if any Windows version supports this, but if they don't,
> it's not because it would be hard to implement (at least interface-wise).

It's supported. It's just inconvenient. It also means the UI also runs at
low priority if the render runs at low priority, which in my experience is
also annoying.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid