POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Priority : Re: Render Priority Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Priority
From: scott
Date: 10 May 2010 09:27:24
Message: <4be809bc@news.povray.org>
> The only thing Windows needs is that in
> the Task Manager you could set the priority of running tasks. It would be
> a question of a few mouse clicks (eg. if there would be a spinbutton or a
> dropdown menu alongside each task in the list).

It's there already (since XP), right click on the process in task manager
and choose "Set Priority".  But as already said, this changes the priority
of the whole process.  What I assume most people want is the GUI thread to
be fully responsive, and the rendering thread to be on low priority.  I
don't see an easy way for the task manager to handle this (unless the
program could "expose" certain threads to the OS that are flagged with names
and then show up in task manager).  It seems simpler that the program itself
handles which of its threads can have the priority changed.