POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Priority : Re: Render Priority Server Time
4 Jul 2024 12:44:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Priority
From: clipka
Date: 10 May 2010 07:54:26
Message: <4be7f3f2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.05.2010 13:20, schrieb Warp:

>    Usually it's the responsibility of the operating system to offer the user
> the means to set process priorities. It doesn't make much sense for each
> individual program to have to do that.

It does if you frequently want part of a program to run at low priority,
because it saves you quite some mouse clicks or keystrokes each time you
fire up those tasks.

Another issue in this context is that POV-Ray for windows doesn't start
a separate process (aka task) for the back-end, just separate threads,
which might be difficult to identify in a task manager even if it
supported per-thread renicing. Though I don't know whether Windows
supports assigning scheduler priorities on a per-thread basis at all.