POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Priority : Re: Render Priority Server Time
4 Jul 2024 12:56:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Priority
From: Warp
Date: 10 May 2010 07:16:52
Message: <4be7eb24@news.povray.org>
> Yep. Except it's inconvenient in Windows because (a) it has a UI that runs
> in the same process as the render and (b) one doesn't normally launch it
> from the command line where setting the priority is trivial.

  Why should it be inconvenient? The only thing Windows needs is that in
the Task Manager you could set the priority of running tasks. It would be
a question of a few mouse clicks (eg. if there would be a spinbutton or a
dropdown menu alongside each task in the list).

  Eg. in KDE (and I'm sure that also in Gnome and basically any other
Windowing system for Unix/Linux) you don't have to go to the command line
to renice a running process. You can run the KDE System Guard (which is
largely equivalent to Windows' Task Manager) and you can renice processes
there with a few mouse clicks.

  I don't know if any Windows version supports this, but if they don't,
it's not because it would be hard to implement (at least interface-wise).

--
                                                          - Warp