POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Priority : Re: Render Priority Server Time
4 Jul 2024 12:42:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Priority
From: clipka
Date: 10 May 2010 04:44:35
Message: <4be7c773$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.05.2010 20:55, schrieb Warp:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> Having the render
>> automatically drop into the background when more urgent work(*) starts
>> running is a useful setting.
>
>    That's a task for the operating system to do, not the program. All
> modern multitasking operating systems have process priorities (although
> I don't remember if you can actually fine-tune it manually in Windows).

While you're right in theory, practice mandates otherwise. MS Windows
(at least XP with default configuration) is still rather poor at dealing
with process priorities; setting POV-Ray's process priority low may
reduce the total time spent on rendering, but it doesn't seem to improve
system responsiveness much. I guess Windows uses comparatively long time
slices, and refuses to cut them short when a higher-priority process
becomes ready.