POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The last line totally sells this : Re: The last line totally sells this Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The last line totally sells this
From: Invisible
Date: 10 May 2010 04:06:41
Message: <4be7be91$1@news.povray.org>
>> Sure. But if you read something in a book, there is a high probability
>> that it has some basis in fact. If you read something off da intertubes,
>> it could be utter nonesense.
>
> You haven't read some of the textbooks that are in the US educational
> system.  Fair amount of nonsense in there, put in by religious nutjobs
> who want public schools to teach their particular brand of religion.

OK, that's quite worrying.

Then again, I always thought the Americans were crazy. One time I
stumbled across some sex education material from the USA and I was like
"OMG, WTF? Are you *kidding* me?! Who wrote this? In which century?"

>> Of course, today even books can't always be considered reliable. The
>> last book I read was called Darwin's Black Box...
>
> It's always been the case that books couldn't be considered reliable.
> Just read any history book and see if it tells *both* sides (history
> books are typically written by the winners, not the losers).

I believe the quotation you're searching for is "history is written by
the victors".

I'd say that most history I've read is pretty accurate - but it would be
more truthful to say that most history I've read is so mind-numbingly
boring that I couldn't actually give a **** whether it's accurate or
not. ;-)