POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Priority : Re: Render Priority Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Priority
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 May 2010 03:07:05
Message: <4be7b099@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> schreef in bericht
>  Btw, I'm curious to know why you wouldn't want POV-Ray taking all the
> available CPU.
In general, I want POV to take all available cpu. It is only when I want to
do other things alongside a render that I experience a severe
slowdown/stalling of those other processes. I do not care too much but
sometimes that is annoying.

>  The only thing I can think of is if you are suffering from overheating
> problems and you want the CPU to be eg. at 50% at maximum in order for it
> to not to overheat.
Overheating can sometimes be an issue, especially during summer, but can
this not be resolved by the Duty Cycle?

>  (If what you want is that other tasks get more CPU than POV-Ray, rather
> than the OS distributing the CPU evenly, that's the OS's problem, not
> POV-Ray's. In most modern OS's you can set process priorities on a
> per-process basis.)
Well, I suppose so, but Render Priority worked well with 3.6 and lower and I
wondered if something equivalent was possible with 3.7 (and multicores of
course).

Thomas