POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The last line totally sells this : Re: The last line totally sells this Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The last line totally sells this
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 May 2010 22:29:36
Message: <4be76f90$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 09 May 2010 10:32:45 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, right after you learn it, you have to question the
>>> validity of the source...
>>
>> Actually, the people who learn the best do this all the time,
>> regardless of the source....
>
> Sure. But if you read something in a book, there is a high probability
> that it has some basis in fact. If you read something off da intertubes,
> it could be utter nonesense.

You haven't read some of the textbooks that are in the US educational
system.  Fair amount of nonsense in there, put in by religious nutjobs
who want public schools to teach their particular brand of religion.

> Of course, today even books can't always be considered reliable. The
> last book I read was called Darwin's Black Box...

It's always been the case that books couldn't be considered reliable.
Just read any history book and see if it tells *both* sides (history
books are typically written by the winners, not the losers).

Jim